Pattern Description: From Jalie website: Easy-to-make stretch top with crossover neckline and choice of short or 3/4 sleeve.
Pattern Sizing: Pattern includes 22 sizes. I made size R - women size 4.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are clear and easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like everything about this pattern. The style is wonderful and versatile. The only thing that I found strange was the neckline on the back because the fabric is simply folded and stitched. I'll probably change that and add a neckband next time.
Fabric Used: Jersey knit.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I wanted long sleeves, so I lengthened them by approximately 30cm. I also found the top to be a bit short, so I added a band, approximately 5cm wide, to the waist. I would have simply lengthen it, but I forgot to check the length before cutting the pattern out. Ups.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Definitely.
Conclusion: Wonderful and easy to make top. I had this pattern in my stash for quite some time and I really regret not making it sooner. This pattern's a real winner.
Here's the picture of me wearing it:
Notice the drag lines across my bust? Those weren't there while I was trying on the top during construction. I was however wearing a different bra, so that could be the cause.
Here are photos of the back and close-up of the waistband:
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I made a muslin for this Burda top. I made size 34, but as I see now, I should have made it in 36. I'm still quite happy with the results, except that my muslin knit fabric turned out to be too stiff for this top. As you can clearly see in the photo of the back the fabric should have more drape.
Here's the picture of the muslin:
As far as the construction goes, it wasn't as difficult as it looked on the first sight. My instructions were in German - not my strongest suit. I tried to make sense of it, but I couldn't quite get it. Finally, I just wrote the numbers of notches on the fabric and placed them together accordingly. And it worked.
The only thing I don't like is the waistband part. It came out too small. The problem could be the fabric, or I could have made a mistake in construction or that I made it one size too small. I'll figure it out until I make a real version of it. Btw, there's a seam on the front of my waistband that shouldn't be there. I had a limited amount of this fabric and I couldn't cut it on fold.
Also, I noticed that this top is really short.I thought it was longer based on the one on the model. But again, this could be solved with a bigger size.
Here's another top I made. Inspired (or shamelessly copied) by Adriana's version posted here.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Lately I have been inspired by draping features in both tops and bottoms and oversized looks.
Here are some of my inspirational pieces for fall/winter tops:
Robert Rodriguez and Revolver tops:
Design History & Rick Owens tops:
(All pics taken from Bluefly.com and Net-a-Porter.com)
I'm completely inspired and in love with Design History looks. Here's a link to their looks on Bluefly.
I'm also inspired by Adriana's creations over at The Princess Seam blog. Adriana is genius in my book, superbly talented and overall gorgeous.
On my sewing table:
Ever since I saw this top made by Adriana, I couldn't stop thinking about it and I had to make my version of it (Adriana, I hope you don't mind). The top is almost finished, I still need to hem it and then I'll post pics.
On my cutting table:
Burda WOF 08/2004 #142 top
I've traced the top. The pattern pieces are a bit unusual and my German is quite poor; so there will be a lot of guessing involved with this one.