Yesterday, we had a party at my office as it was one year since our stores opened. As usually, I had nothing appropriate to wear. After I decided on the pants and shoes, finding the appropriate top became a mission. At 6 o'clock PM (I had to leave home at 9), I decided to sew the sleeveless version of the Burda WOF Twist top. I've made this top before, I should be able to make it again in three hours. Well, apparently sewing under pressure is something I need yet to master. Everything went well, until it was 8:30 and I still needed to hem the top and finish the sleeves (not to mention shower, put make-up on, etc.).
I decided to do the lettuce edge on the hem - looks nice, it's fast. It worked well. I tried to do the same on the sleeves but it looked awful. In a panic, I decided to trim off the lettuce edge, leave it unfinished and finish it the next day. Here comes the lesson: don't use shears in a hurry and a panic. I trimmed off too much and made a complete and utter mess: gaping and uneven armholes, reveling seams and fabric; you name it.
As it was time to leave, I put on a RTW top and a jacket. The funny thing is that I spent an entire evening outside with my jacket on. If I had known that before I would've saved myself a lot of nerves and fabric. Oh well....
Sunday, May 18, 2008